How can I make a complaint regarding a Health Service or Provider?

Virgin Care has been commissioned by Bath and North East Somerset Council to deliver the following children’s community health and care services:  



To find out more about making a complaint regarding any of the above services delivered by Virgin Care, please visit 


The Integrated Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Service is based at the Royal United Hospital, Bath. The complaints policy for RUH can be found here


If you have a complaint regarding your General Practitioner (GP), in the first instance, you should discuss your concerns with the manager of the surgery/practice. If you still have concerns, you can make a complaint via the NHS, see 

Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in Bath and North East Somerset are provided by Oxford Health.  Please contact the service directly regarding their complaints policy.

Children’s Hospice South West ‘s complaints procedure can be found here


If you have a concern or complaint regarding Health provision as part of my child’s EHC needs assessment or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan:

If you have a concern regarding health provision as part of your or your child’s EHC Needs Assessment or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, in the first instance you should contact your child’s SEND practitioner directly.

If the issue is not resolved through this route, the local authority commissions a Disagreement Resolution Service, via Global Mediation. This service can help to reach agreement between parent-carers, young people and organisations that provide health provision. In relation to health provision, this can be during:


  • an EHC needs assessment
  • when EHC plans are being drafted
  • when they are being reviewed or;
  • when children/young people are being reassessed.


Making a complaint via the Local Authority’s Complaints process or via NHS

You can also make a complaint via the Bath and North East Somerset’s Children’s Services Complaints procedure

You can also make a complaint about services provided through the NHS with support from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). You can find out more information about making a complaint about NHS services and PALS here.


SEND Tribunal Trial

The Government are currently piloting a single route of redress national trial that will allow tribunals to make non-binding recommendations about health or social care provision listed in a child’s statutory Education, Health or Care (EHC) plan. Previously the SEND Tribunals only considered the provision related to special education needs, provision and placement elements of EHC plans.

The trial began on 3rd April 2018 and will last for two years. For more information, please visit our SEND Tribunal page.


Information, Advice and Support 

If you require further information regarding a concern or complaint, please visit our information, advice and support page for sources of advice and support.