What do all these words mean?

Have a look at the Glossary for information about what some of the ‘jargon’ words mean


Help with paying for childcare for children 2-5 years old

15 hours funded childcare for all 3 & 4 year olds:

Each child is entitled to up to 15 hours a week (for 38 weeks a year) funded childcare from the term after their 3rd birthday.

Applying for the funding: Your childcare provider will ask you to complete a short form when your child is entitled to the funding.


30 hours funded childcare for some 3 & 4 year olds:

If the child is receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and a parent/carer is receiving Carers Allowance for that child, the family may be entitled to 30 hours funded childcare for that child.

“Where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities (Child receives DLA) or have been assessed as having limited capability to work.”  (https://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/improving-information-childcare-children-special-educational-needs-and-disabilities)

This funding can start the term after the child’s 3rd birthday, providing you apply before the closing date. More information about this can be found here: www.bathnes.gov.uk/eye

Applying for the funding: To apply for the 30 hour funding using this criteria, call Childcare Choices on 0300 123 4097


15 hours funded childcare for some 2 year olds:

If the child has DLA and/ or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, then they are entitled to up to 15 hours a week (for 38 weeks a year) funded childcare at an Ofsted registered childcare provider with an inspection outcome of ‘Good‘ or ‘Outstanding‘.  Funding can start the term after their 2nd birthday.

Applying for the funding: To apply for the 2 year funding for a child who received DLA, contact the Free School Meals team on 01225 394317.


My childcare provider is trying to charge extra for my child because they have a Special Educational Need and/or Disability (SEND) or additional need, are they able to do this?

Childcare providers cannot charge extra for children because they have a Special Educational Need and/or Disability or additional needs, this does not comply with the Equalities Act 2010. They can charge for extra things such as snack or additional hours. This should be outlined in the contract you sign when your child starts the nursery.


If your childcare provider tries charging extra because your child has SEND or additional needs, recommend that they contact their Area SENCo Advisory Teacher who can discuss this further.


What extra support is available for my child with SEND or additional needs?

For 2-5 year olds

If your child needs extra help or support due to their complex Special Educational Needs and/or Disability, you can talk to a health professional or your Early Years provider about an application for Inclusion Support Funding (ISF).  Children must be in receipt of 2 year funding or 3 year funding in order to receive ISF. For more information you may contact the Early Years Special Educational Needs and Disability Inclusion Panel (SENDIP) on 01225 395608, or the SEND Partnership Service on 01225 394382. In addition, more information can be found on the following link: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/schools-colleges-and-learning/support-parentscarers-educational/early-years-special


For 3/4 year olds in an Early Years setting.

The Disability Access Fund (DAF) is for early years providers to support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).  The DAF aids access to early years places by, for example, supporting providers in making reasonable adjustments to their settings, purchasing specialist equipment and/or seeking specialised training that would support providers to meet the child’s needs.  3 and 4 year olds will be eligible for the DAF if they meet the following criteria:

  • the child is in receipt of child disability living allowance (DLA) and;
  • the child receives their three year early years entitlement.   Note:  4 year olds in primary school reception classes are NOT eligible for DAF funding.  Children become eligible for free early education the term after their 3rd Birthday.

More information can be found here. Speak to your Early Years setting to check they have applied for DAF for your child.

What is a ‘Short Break’?

Short Breaks provide opportunities for disabled children and young people to spend time away from their primary carers/family. These include day, evening, overnight or weekend activities and take place in the child’s own home, the home of an approved carer, a residential or community setting. Have a look here for more information: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/0-5-years/social-care/short-breaks-for-disabled-children


Who can I talk to if I think my child needs additional support at an educational setting?

Each school and Early Years childcare provision has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) who will be able to discuss your child’s needs and what support they might be able to put in place for them.


What support is available to help pay for childcare for a child aged 5+?

There are several options for help paying for childcare for school aged children, have a look on the following page for details: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/children-young-people-and-families/childcare-early-years-play/paying-childcare-tax-credits-

Where can I find details of childcare providers in my area?

All Ofsted registered childcare in Bath and North East Somerset can be found here: www.bathnes1bd.org.uk. This includes nurseries, childminders, after-school, breakfast and holiday clubs.  

Each childcare provider should have outlined their experience of working with children with SEND and how they cater for different needs. You can view this on each childcare providers’ record on Bathnes 1 Big Database under the ‘Local Offer Documents’ section.


How can I make a complaint about a childcare provider?

If you have any concerns about your childcare provider the first port of call would be to discuss them with the childcare provider directly. If you are unhappy with their response, or if you have safeguarding concerns, you can contact Ofsted on 0300 123 4666.


What are the different types of childcare options?

There are lots of different types of childcare available, here is a breakdown of them: https://www.bathnes1bd.org.uk/pages/childcare/types-of-childcare


What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer, published by every local authority, tells you what support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families. It includes information about education, health and care provision. It also gives information about training, employment and independent living for young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.


Where can I get help and advice?

Have a look on the Information and Advice page for details of where you can get help: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/0-5-years/information-advice-and-support


What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan?

Find all you need to know about EHC Plans on the following page: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/0-5-years/education-health-and-care-plans